Saturday, March 15, 2014

Home


And though you can't see, it's so hard to believe it
Sometimes you just need a little faith (All you need is a little faith)
There's an answer to your prayer
And I swear that there'll come a day
The sun will rise
It will be alright

Yesterday, my Hickman Port was taken out. I feel like "myself" again. I mean, who wants a tube inserted into their body. It feels uneasy, foreign and unnatural. Although I have to say that it saved me from a lot of painful needle pricks. Uneasy and unnatural it may seem, my port saved my life especially when I was being transfused twice a week.

I am writing this post at home. Yes, I am home.

My doctors signed my discharge papers on March 7th, Friday, and I also went through another bone-marrow biopsy for the nth time. We were required to attend a discharge class so that we'll know what to do especially that we'll be on our own once we leave the hospital. We'll be transitioning to outpatient. 

Excited as I may to finally go home, it was also hard to leave all the wonderful doctors and nurses who have cared for me and who always wore a smile to cheer me up. I do hope they know that I am thankful and I appreciate all they do.

Physically, I feel ok. I get tired easily. Eating is still a challenge. I've also have a hard time sleeping. I have to avoid sun exposure between 10 AM - 4 PM and should wear sunblock when I'm out. I suffer from dry mouth all the time, and my doctor said it's caused by chemo combined with all the meds I'm taking. I do have a rash that appeared on my right cheek. My doctor thinks it's a combination of dermatitis and mild graft-vs-host, so we'll just have to be vigilant and watch it.

I am slowly easing into my home life. Funny but I have sort of forgotten where things are. It's a struggle to even remember where I've put my ring, my phone, my bath towel etc. I even struggle at times to find certain words to say. Could this be chemo brain?

Most of the time, you can find me playing with washi tapes, papers and labels.  I just revived or reopened my Etsy Shop so crafting is keeping my busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.