Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day +46 Update

The past few weeks were uneventful and we like it that way.

Every single day has been routine blood work and just keeping up with my meds.  Sometimes, I feel like a dog on a leash that all my activities are either restricted or controlled.  Boredom is starting to get me as we do the same thing every single day. I try not to over think the routine. I just close my eyes and put one foot forward and hoping the rest will follow. I know the weariness is also getting to my husband. We both want to go home.

Last week, I caught a viral infection and had fevers and chills for about two days. It was so uncomfortable especially the night sweats. I'm really impressed with my care team at Johns Hopkins; they work fast and efficient. The same day I reported a fever, my nurse took blood cultures and the lab techs identified the virus right away. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic and the fevers and chills were gone the next day. I am really amazed how bone-marrow transplants have evolved these days. I do hope this program at Johns Hopkins will keep improving.

Apart from the boredom and routine, I am quite happy that my donor's bone-marrow has engrafted. I am thrilled that I am now producing my own blood. My doctors said that my bone-marrow is still a "baby" so I should give it time to grow and reach its potential.

I think things are starting to look up.

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. It has been a long journey. I hope you get to go home soon. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always visiting. I am quite excited to go home.

      Delete
  2. God is good!
    Thank God for the donor... thank God for the doctor's, their knowledge, skill and experience... but most important...Thank God for U....Keeping u &Jeff in prayer as ur body continues to rebuild itself to a healthier Karen.
    Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear this. I'm sure there will be discomfort, but at least the tough part is over, right? Take care. You are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for your updates. Please know that I keep you both in my daily prayers. I look forward to the day when I see you sitting in "your" pew at the 8am service. That day will come! Prayers abound. Nancy Hennessey

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be more good news to come, and you will soon be out and back to your adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.