Friday, December 27, 2013

Consent Forms Signed

As usual, I had platelets and red cells infusions; I don't even know how many transfusions I've had anymore.

Today, I also signed my consent papers to go through with the bone-marrow transplant. Dr. B walked us through the signing of consent papers, and the oncology nurse also discussed the expected side-effects of anti-thymocyte globulin (ATG), chemotherapy and full body radiation. It was a LOT to take and the information overwhelming.

The road looks tough. I think that reality is finally setting in, and there are times that fear takes over the better part of me. There's a lot of uncertainty, but life is full of uncertainties even to those who doesn't have to travel the same road I'm taking.

Just to give you an idea of BMT preparation, here's a list of what I went through for the past three days:

- lots of blood work
- bone marrow biopsy (don't like it)
- infusion of platelets and red cells
- scans (different types)
- pulmonary function test (this is my least favorite)
- echocardiogram (ultra-sound of the heart)
- EKG
- full body radiation simulation
- met my transplant doctor
- met the oncology nurse

Each day was long and exhausting.

Aside from all these medical tests, we also had to temporary house Dizzy, our cat, at a friend's house because pets are not allowed during the recovery period. We miss Dizzy so much :(.

The road to getting better will start on January 1st.

2 comments:

  1. I will offer prayers for you and hope that 2014 will be the start of your recovery.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.