Saturday, May 17, 2014

Steve

We were driving to Mt. Airy to check out a yard sale when Mom got a call.

"Steve died last night!"

We froze. Mom was speechless.

We met Steve and his wife, when I was getting chemo at the hospital. I was in the midst of my treatment when he started his. At that time, we were both getting a bone-marrow transplant (BMT). I was being treated for Aplastic Anemia and he was being treated for MDS. I think our families bonded because we were all going through a difficult journey. While I was quarantined in my room, my parents would spent hours chatting with Steve's wife.

Although our families have not kept in contact since I was discharged, aside from the occasional short talks when we ran to each other at the hospital for our weekly check-ups, the news of his death plunged a deep dagger of pain and sadness in my heart. Perhaps because I have an idea of what he went through especially that our treatment were similar. Perhaps because I know that surviving a bone-marrow transplant process doesn't guarantee full remission. Perhaps because I understand that we're here for just a short time and anything, I mean anything can happen from this moment to the next. Perhaps because I realized that for anyone who faces a life-threatening disease, death is a possibility.

I don't remember when, but the last time I saw Steve was when he was standing in front of the pharmacy waiting for his meds. He looked well and strong. I was chatting with his wife at that time and he looked like he was on track to full recovery. According to his wife, Steve survived prostate and stomach cancer. The MDS was caused by the harsh chemotherapy treatments he received for both diseases.

Steve is a true survivor. Having survived two cancers, he didn't concede to defeat. While going through chemo, he and his wife were inseparable. He'd go to the grocery store wearing a mask with his wife. He was strength in times of weakness.

We meet people for a reason and purpose.

I saw him as a symbol of strength and survival. He neither let cancer rule his life nor take his will to survive. He kept fighting until the end.

I pray for Steve and his family. That they may find comfort and strength in this difficult time.

Today, I am +126 days old from transplant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.