Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Worth Remembering

My doctor gave me Friday, Nov. 29, as a day off from my regular twice-a-week transfusions. It seems that my body is now holding on to my platelets longer. I attribute that to the IVIG treatment I was given. Also, I no longer bruise easily which is a relief. I get so unhappy when my body is covered with bruises and the horrible looking petechiae.

Recently, I don't like how my photos look. I noticed that I look so old, tired and haggard.

On Wednesday, Nov. 27, I got an e-mail from Miss R, my BMT case manager, that a donor has confirmed. I cried. My coworkers were so elated and they hugged me. We cried.

I knew a week or two earlier that we had two possible 9/10 donors, but we were still waiting for a confirmation. I didn't want to either keep my hopes up or write about them on my blog, as I think it was too early. Also, a donor can choose not to donate at all.

With a hopeful heart, I packed my clothes as we, my parents, husband and I, were Atlantic City (AC) bound to spend Thanksgiving there. We thought we needed a break from our routine; We needed to get away from the things that makes us sad. During our drive to AC, Miss R sent me another e-mail confirming that we have a harvest date - meaning my donor has agreed to have her/his bone marrow harvested on a certain date.

I was astounded. It was hard to comprehend how my Thanksgiving is shaping or should I say becoming a true embodiment of gratitude: Gratitude to God; Gratitude to my donor's kindness; and, Gratitude to my supportive family and friends. I know I have a long way to go, but this is one of the biggest steps to getting a cure.

Truly, I am lost for words but deep inside, the truest form of "gratitude" beats within my heart. I have no words to fully describe it.

Yes, my donor is not a full match (10/10) and this will involve a bigger chance for graft-vs-host disease (GVHD). GVHD "is a complication that can occur after a stem cell or bone marrow transplant in which the newly transplanted donor cells attack the transplant recipient's body" (NIH). This is my biggest worry, but for now, I will dwell on the spirit of gratitude.

For truly, God has taken me this far and I know He will see me through recovery.

Hugs from chilly Washington D.C.


6 comments:

  1. what a wonderful blessing. i continue to hold you in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, photo cache. it is a wonderful blessing.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kabsat... happy to know of your progress:-)))

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.